As many as 60 snakes were found in a kitchen of a school in Maharashtra.
The 60 venomous snakes were Russell’s viper snakes. They were found in the kitchen of a Zilla Parishad school in Hingoli district of Maharashtra.
The deadly situation panicked the students after they spotted the lethal Russell’s viper snakes. The staffers of the Zilla Parishad-run school located in Pangra Bokhare village of Hingoli district too breathed in fear.
A female cook spotted two Russell’s vipers on Friday afternoon. The deadly snakes were near the place where wood used for fuel was stored.
As the cook started picking pieces of wood, she found the remaining 58 snakes in the kitchen.
All of us panicked after seeing so many snakes. Several villagers rushed to the spot with sticks and stones but we stopped them from killing the snakes.
After a few minutes spent in panic and fear, the school called in a snake catcher.
Snake catcher Vicky Dalad arrived and after he worked his fingers to the bone for more than two hours, he emerged victorious as he caught all the snakes.
The students and the staffers all breathed a sigh of relief as Dalal put the Russell’s vipers in bottles.
According to Bhimarao Bokhare who is a school administrator, all 60 snakes were later handed over to forest officer J D Kachwe.
With that, the day was saved indeed.
RUSSELL’S VIPER SNAKE
The Russell’s viper is one of the most dangerous snakes in all of Asia, accounting for thousands of deaths each year.
If the snake bites, people can experience a wide variety of symptoms including pain, swelling, vomiting, dizziness, blood incoagubility and kidney failure.
(With inputs from PTI)