The first meeting of the newly-constituted Congress Working Committee (CWC) meeting is underway in New Delhi today. The Congress chief Rahul Gandhi is charing this meeting which is being held at Parliament Annexe.
The new CWC which includes 23 members, 19 permanent invitees and 9 special invitees was constituted on July 17. The meeting is being held to discuss the current political scenario of the country and to come up with the party’s strategy for the upcoming 2019 Lok Sabha elections. Here are the key updates:
- Rahul Gandhi, who took over as the Congress chief in December last year, reminded his partymen of the role of Congress “as the voice of India” and also of its responsibility of the present and the future.
- He called the newly constituted CWC as an institution comprising of experience and energy, as a bridge between the past, present and the future. He called upon the Congressmen to rise and fight for Indias oppressed.
- Former prime minister Manmohan Singh, while addressing the key meeting, attacked Prime Minister Modi for bringing the culture of “constant self-praise and jumlas as against solid policy framework”.
- Manmohan Singh also pointed out that the PM’s claim of doubling farm income by 2022 will require an agricultural growth rate of 14%, which is nowhere in sight.
- Addressing the leaders, Sonia Gandhi said that the rhetoric of PM Modi shows desperation which reflects that the reverse countdown of the Modi government has begun.
- “We have to rescue our people from a dangerous regime that is compromising the democracy of India,” Sonia said.
- Sonia Gandhi also extended support to Rahul and said, “We are committed to make alliances work and we are all with him (Rahul) in this endeavour.”
Sh. Rahul Gandhi reminds qua the role of Congress as the voice of India as also its responsibility of present and future, as BJP attacks institutions, dalits, tribals, backwards, minorities & poor.#CWC
Randeep Singh Surjewala (@rssurjewala) July 22, 2018
As the general election approach, the Congress has upped the ante against the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Two days ago, the country saw the Lok Sabha taking up the no-confidence motion against the BJP-led NDA government.
The Congress came in support of the motion which was originally moved by the Telegu Desam Party (TDP). The Congress chief attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP in his speech at the Parliament and later, stunned the House and the nation by giving him a hug.