Prime Minister Narendra Modi will once again contest Lok Sabha election from Varanasi, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) announced on Thursday as it realised its first list of candidates for the 2019 Lok Sabha polls. Besides this, BJP chief Amit Shah will contest from Gandhinagar in Gujarat. The BJP has announced names of 184 candidates for the Lok Sabha election.
Most of the names announced in the first list are for seats where voting be held in the first phase of polling on April 11. The results of the Lok Sabha elections will be announced on May 23.
Key takeaways from BJP’s first list:
1) The BJP has announced candidates for 184 Lok Sabha seats. This is the first candidate list relased by the party. Top BJP leaders will meet for the party’s Central Election Committee meeting on Friday (March 21) at 11 am. More names are likely to be discussed in it.
2) BJP president Amit Shah’s name from Gandhinagar is important because this seat is currently held by veteran BJP leader Lal Krishna Advani. He has been representing Gandhinagar in the Lok Sabha since 1998. This will also be Amit Shah’s first Lok Sabha election.
3) The first list includes names of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP chief Amit Shah, Union ministers Rajnath Singh, Nitin Gadkari, Smriti Irani, Babul Supriyo, VK Singh, among others.
4) Rajnath Singh fill contest from Lucknow, Nitin Gadkari from Nagpur, Smriti Irani will once again take on Congress president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi, while VK Singh has be fielded again from Ghaziabad Lok Sabha seat.
5) In Uttar Pradesh, BJP has denied tickets to six sitting MPs, including Union minister Krishna Raj. The other five are: Ram Shankar Katheria, Anshul Verma, Babulal Chaudhary, Anju Bala and Satya Pal Singh.
6) The BJP has renominated Union ministers VK Singh, Mahesh Sharma, Kiren Rijiju, DV Sadananda Gowda, Babul Supriyo from Ghaziabad, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Arunachal West, Bengalore North and Asansol, respectively. They had won from the same seats in 2014.
7) More than 25 MPs have been dropped in the first list.
8) BJP said it has also finalised names of all 17 party candidates from Bihar. The list has been sent to the BJP state unit which will announce it jointly with allies — JD(U) and Lok Janshakti Party
9) In Rajasthan, BJP has dropped the only woman MP from the state, Santosh Ahlawat, from Jhunjhunu seat and replaced her with Narendra Khinchad.
10) Candidates whose names have been announced in the first list are from 20 states and three Union territories.
|Andaman and Nicbobar Islands||1|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||1|
|Jammu and Kashmir||5|
(With inputs from Press Trust of India)
ALSO READ | Click here for full list of BJP candidates
ALSO READ | Complete guide for 2019 Lok Sabha elections